Most people aren’t aware that many of the foods that we humans eat on regular basis can be harmful or even deadly to your dog. These are dangerous dog foods that you should avoid feeding your dog at all times. Even a small amount of certain foods can be toxic and fatal to your furry friend.
* Chocolate – A little bit can cause seizures, coma and death. Even a small piece of chocolate is dangerous. This is typically one of the only foods that people know is bad for dogs. But there are many more.
* Caffeine – Can have a similar effect as chocolate so never give it to your dog. That includes coffee, tea, soda, energy drinks, and anything else containing caffeine.
* Grapes and raisins – These can cause kidney failure and even a single serving of raisins can make your dog very ill or even kill him.
* Salt – Eating too much salt can cause kidney problems and several other problems as well. Death is also a possibility.
* Bread Dough – It needs to rise and if you feed it to your dog it will rise inside his stomach. This can cause severe pain and alcohol poisoning as it ferments.
* Human Medicine – This is one of the leading causes of dog poisoning. Don’t give your dog over the counter medicine unless your vet tells you to. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen can both be deadly when given to a dog.
* Onions – Poisonous to dogs and can cause anemia. This can lead to weakness, loss of appetite, vomiting, difficulty breathing, and more.
* Garlic – Many of the same issues as onions (see above).
* Tomatoes – Hard to believe but these are toxic to dogs. They can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias.
* Avocados – Highly toxic and can cause breathing difficulty and fluid accumulation around the abdomen chest and heart.
* Alcohol – It takes far less beer, liquor, wine or other alcohol to damage a dog that it does a human. Just a small amount can cause vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and several other issues including coma or death.
* Bones – If you give your dog bones be sure that they are raw because cooked bones can splinter and damage their internal organs. They can also choke on them, whether they are cooked or not.
* Excessive fat can cause pancreatitis, so it is not wise to feed your dog a diet of fatty foods.
* Fried foods – Just as with humans these are not good for retaining maximum health in your dog.
* Nuts – Certain nuts, such as Macadamia nuts and walnuts can cause weakness, paralysis, rapid heart rate, muscle tremors and other major problems.
* Fruits – The core and pits of fruits such as apples, cherries and peaches contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs and can kill them very quickly without warning.
* Raw Eggs – Possibility of food poisoning and interferes with the absorption of some vitamins, which can cause skin problems.
And that’s not all. There are plenty of other foods that can be harmful or fatal to your dog. When in doubt, always refrain from feeding your dog any human foods. Never assume that it will be okay unless you know for certain that it is. Many foods that are safe for humans can kill your dog within hours, even if he’s had them before without any problems.
Remember, if your dog has eaten some of these foods in the past and nothing happened to him that doesn’t mean he will be okay if he eats them again. It’s very possible that you just got lucky the first time and this time your dog could get very sick or even die. All it takes is once for something to go horribly wrong. Don’t take the chance; it’s not worth the risk. Human food is not for dogs — stick to the real dog food and be safe!
On top of all that, even if you aren’t feeding your dog any foods that are directly dangerous, it is still unhealthy for them to eat human food. They can much more easily become overweight and have other health problems from consuming it on a regular basis.Categories: Dog Food, Dog Health