Which is a better pet, cats or dogs? This is something that dog lovers and can’t lovers have been arguing about forever. I am going enter the battle by giving my opinion on the subject.
Yes, I know this is a dog blog and it’s obvious that I love dogs so my opinion might be a little biased. And I’ll admit if I had to choose between the two I would almost always choose a dog. However, I do own a cat that I love very much and I think she is amazing! I couldn’t imagine not having her.
Anyway, here is my opinion on the cats vs. dogs battle…
1) Dogs can protect you as well as your home and family, and usually will if the situation arises. Even a small dog that can’t do much against an intruder will at least alert you to possible danger by barking. Cats have nothing on dogs when it comes to this. Dogs get 1 point for this.
2) Dogs are great companions because you can take them just about anywhere and they love it. Cats will usually freak out if you take them anywhere. Give 1 point to dogs for this.
3) Dogs go to the bathroom outside so you never have to smell it in the house or clean a litter box. But the fact that cats go in the litter box is nice because you never have to worry about letting them out or cleaning up accidents. I’ll give them both a point for this.
4) I don’t know if dogs really do love their owners more than cats but they definitely tend to show the love more. My cat is actually one of the most loving cats I have ever seen in my life and she still doesn’t seem to care about me as much as any dog I’ve ever owned. Another point for dogs.
5) Cats don’t listen to what you say like dogs do. Some people like the independent nature of cats but I would much rather they listen to my commands like dogs do. They might do some things you say but for the most part they really don’t give a crap. It’s pretty easy to see that dog training is a lot easier than cat training. One point for dogs.
6) One big argument for each side is which one is smarter. I think both cat people and dog people have very valid points for why their respective side is smarter. Personally I think they are equally smart in their own ways, which are very different. However, dogs appear to be smarter due to their trainability. Dogs are used all over the world for many different things by the military and police. They are also used as guide dogs, guard dogs, working dogs, hunting dogs, and many other things due to their trainability. You don’t see cats doing any of this. Because of that I am giving dogs another point here.
7) When it comes which is more fun to own, I think a lot can be said for both sides. On one hand dogs can be really funny and cute all by themselves plus they can be taken on walks and a lot of other places as well as playing fetch and other games. On the other hand cats can be very entertaining to watch when they are playing with their toys or running around the house, and you can play quite a few games with them too. Weighing it as evenly as possible overall I would say that dogs are just a little more fun to own. Give dogs another point for this.
8) Cats are certainly easier to take care of considering they are very self-sufficient. Give them food, water, and clean the litter box every few days and they pretty much handle the rest themselves. Definitely a point for cats.
9) In my experience cats are a lot cheaper than dogs. They require less food and supplies, and don’t need to go to the vet as often. They usually don’t cost as much to actually buy either. Another point for cats.
10) Cats aren’t as destructive as dogs for the most part. They don’t typically chew things up like puppies and some adult dogs do. They also don’t ruin your carpet with their muddy paws every time they come inside after it rains. Their claws can be very destructive but those can be removed, thus taking away most of their ability to destroy your house. I say cats get a point for this one also.
Add up the points = Dogs 7, Cats 4
The results are in and dogs win the “better pet” battle. I guess there’s a reason they call Dogs “Man’s Best Friend” and not cats.
If this convinced you to get a dog then I recommend adopting a pit bull from your local shelter.
Okay, I’ve given my analysis of cats versus dogs. What do you think?Comments: 2 | Categories: Dog Information, Dog Intelligence